14.
How would
you classify the afterlife of a marriage: blissful, romantic, outings, feasts,
and children? No, none of these came to pass for Afiyah. She discovered she was
no longer at her old home when a thunderous knock against the
door the following morning startled her awake. It took her a moment to
recognize that she wasn’t in her bed, and that Sameer wasn't
sleeping on the mat on the floor. The ceiling was foreign, as was the
surroundings.
The
instant she discovered Affan laying next to her with a decent distance
between them, her throat tightened as if she were being strangled by her own
breath.
The ritual
began with Soraya instructing her to prepare something sweet, saying,
"That's exactly how the daughter-in-laws starts their day in our
household, they prepare sweets for the family."
The
situation was calm up until Soraya let out a bloodcurdling screech to prevent
Afiyah from pouring all the milk into the sauce pan.
"Learn
to be frugal."
Afiyah was
quite agitated by the brief, straightforward phrase. It will require some time
for Afiyah to adapt the unfamiliar setting.
"Are
you contented here?" While giving Afiyah a hug, her aunt asked.
Afiyah
detested inquiries of this nature. How could she be content after only two days
there when she needs a few weeks to get to know everyone?
She
said, "I am glad for now, the rest would vary depending on the
circumstances." precisely as she had opined.
“Look, You
don't know how marriages operate," she said as she guided Afiyah to a
corner while holding her arm. "You'll need to be astute, deliberate, and
decisive."
Afiyah
stared at her and despised the way she attempted to be her mother even though
she had ignored her pleas in the kitchen.
"Keep
your husband unexpected. I'm not suggesting that you engage in combat with him,
but you'll need to learn how to maintain control over your husband. Get Affan
in your palms before it's too late, and his mother is wise, as she seems.”
Afiyah
grimaced inside.
"You
get it?”
“Yes, I do.”
She had the warmest grin. However, she was struggling internally with the words
she had just witnessed; a woman provoking another woman to hold her
husband in her hands. The ideas caught her off guard and made her feel guilty.
Before the
night of her wedding, Afiyah had discarded her phone, repeatedly pounding
at it with a sledgehammer until it was broken into multiple pieces. When
she tied the pieces together in a knot and threw them in the garbage, she
exhaled with relief. She was relieved when she realized there wouldn't be
anyone to frighten or terrify her anymore.
However, she
was wholly mistaken. When she caught Khizar sneaking looks at her from the
corner, her hopes were shattered. The venue wasn't too packed, but it was
plenty for Khizar to sit in the alcove and perform eye tricks with Afiyah.
When he
gestured for her to follow him with a simple tip of his head towards the
door and then headed outside, she knew his recent intentions towards
her weren't positive.
Afiyah
looked across at Affan, who was laughing at some jokes his cousin had just
said. He had a crooked grin that was so pleasant that it even reached his eyes.
She followed
Khizar with trembling legs and weak knees after analyzing her environs.
"I didn't think you'd show, but you're
brave."
“What do you
want now?” She spat at Khizar, who was standing by the wall. The area was an
alleyway inside her house on the opposite corner.
"If
you're prepared to offer it to me, I want everything." He nibbled
at his lips in the most sensual way, which actually caused Afiyah to feel
queasy occasionally.
"For
the love of your God, let me go. I'm now married." She begged, almost
feeling resentful of herself for standing in front of him.
"Exactly,
and believe me when I say that the actual game has just begun."
He edged
closer to her, causing her to back up in defense, "I have your pictures
that I may send to your husband. But, if you do as I demand, I'll delete
your images." he said as his gaze drifted to her mouth.
"That
is not something you would do. I implore you."
"I've
got my condition."
"What
exactly is it?" She said in between floods of tears that sprang to
her eyes.
“Spend a
night with me; please me and I’ll let you go?”
It took her
a quite a while to comprehend what he was asking for. Her heart leapt as she
understood what his intents were. The optimism of her fresh start came crashing
down at her as if the foliage of late fall tumbling down one after another.
"I'm
confident you're not a maiden anymore." He added, "I'm
sure."
"Are
you in your right mind?" She wasn't bawling because she knew she couldn't,
but the moisture in her eyes caused her voice thick and her eyesight
cloudy.
"I
stated my request, and the decision is now yours. Your husband can tell from
your photos—which maybe aren't offensive or despicable—that you had sexual
interaction with me before to being married."
She
retreated from him as she shivered in dread.
"Give
it some thought, and then get back to me. I'll be patient." He sneered at
her and simply walked away.
Afiyah had
to grab a hold of the wall for stability because she could see the earth
beneath her feet withering away, and she was slipping into misery.
The
screeching sound reverberated into her room as though it were chalk striking
the blackboard. Affan was pulling the chair where he froze, and when she
glanced up, he had a contrite grin on his face. With a stone face, Afiyah returned
her attention to her hands, which she was fidgeting with in her lap.
"It was
rather loud." He chuckles faintly, like a bird tweeting in the
morning.
"In
light of this, friends do worry when they see their pals sobbing in a corner.
Could you please explain what happened?"
"It's
insignificant."
"If you
don't want to tell me effortlessly, I could force you to do
such."
She peered
at him and noticed the tranquil smile on his face. He was concerned, which is
understandable given that he had been witnessing Afiyah cry nonstop for the
last week.
Afiyah was
urged to see her family since he assumed she may miss them, but she denied. He
had made an effort to ignore her hiccups and the sobbing emanating from the
bathroom, but that particular day, he simply had to inquire as to what had
transpired.
“I... I'm
stressed." she began before deciding to lie to Affan and dismiss his
concerns, "I'm under mental strain, therefore it'll take me some time to
adjust to this setting. I'm learning everything, and I'll soon adapt the
settings here.” She turned away from his stare.
"You
see, Afiyah. There are just three of us: I, you, and my mother. Our family is
pretty small. It will be preferable if you implement these changes as soon as
possible since it won't work if you simply sit here and sob all day. You have a
home to maintain in addition to me and my mother. I brought you here-” He
broke off, groaning as he realized what he had just said," I mean I
married you, after all, so that you could look after my mother. I want you to
be the support for her that she needs—a human support."
Her heart
bleeding within, she nodded.
"I have
high expectations of you now that I have entrusted my mother's responsibilities
to you."
When Affan
stood up, Afiyah looked up; he unintentionally tinkered with his shirt's
buttons, loosening them one by one. He complained about the sweltering
temperature as he proceeded to remove his shirt.
He was nearly
about to take off his shirt when Afiyah glanced away, she looked anywhere
but him. When Afiyah cleared her throat, the awkward situation became
worse.
“Oh… I
apologize, I apparently forgot. I'll change in the bathroom."
Even when
Affan staggered to the restroom with his shirt undone and hanging from his
shoulders, they dared not look each other in the eye.
Upon hearing
the bathroom door lock, she relaxed. Afiyah found it strange and unsettling to
witness Affan almost changing in front of her while he was unaware.
She felt at
ease that Affan hadn't mentioned establishing physical interactions yet, but it
was becoming uncomfortable for them both to share a bed while maintaining a
significant distance between them and taking care not to touch as they slept.
After a
week, she understood that Affan was a mature and sensible man, as Sameer
had previously told her. He was a tall, tanned, and strong man with a
well-built body and muscles; he exuded strength from his body. She was relieved
to learn that his food preferences were similar to those of Afiyah.
His mother,
meanwhile, was an entirely different plotline. Afiyah was concerned about the
health of the elderly woman who stayed in bed all day and called
her anytime she needed anything. She was becoming more frail by the day.
Afiyah was
warned by Soraya not to cry in front of Sameer or her father, "They would
assume that you're upset. They could believe I'm not doing enough to keep
you content here, which is the last thing I want."
Afiyah found
it challenging to comprehend her mother-in-law.


0 Comments