20.
Afiyah
continued having anxiety episodes in the following weeks. She would shed
tears over trivial matters, and her annoyance even lead her to argue with Affan
over silly topics, which resulted in misunderstandings between the two. She was
upset and apprehensive since she was hardly smiling anymore, and Affan was
always pointing out her sour demeanor.
Afiyah was
affected intellectually and emotionally by what Eshaal and Bushra said that
day, and before she could grasp what had unfolded, she was slipping into a
profound despair. She lost weight and became more fatigued since she was sleep
deprived at night and cranky throughout the day. The vivid dreams she was
having about Hassan became increasingly terrible, and when she would recall
them, she would be tormented for the whole day.
Afiyah was
perplexed as well and guilty that perhaps she had betrayed Hassan. But then she
recalled his mother's deeds to arrange her marriage. She struggled with whether
to think Hassan would still want her or whether he had moved on.
“Here.” The
file snapped with the marble countertop where Afiyah was scrubbing the dishes.
As she gazed at the envelope on the counter, the washcloth against the plate
came to a halt.
"What's
that?" Cold and dry, she questioned.
"You
could open it and see what's within." As he awaited her action, Affan
slumped against the refrigerator.
Afiyah blew
out through her nose and wiped her soaking hands against her trousers before
grabbing the envelope and delicately ripping it with her teeth.
The
scribbled text was revealed when she unfolded the rolled paper. As she
recognized the latter, she gulped nevertheless.
"You
were selected from several candidates; you can go in for the interview the
following week."
After
folding the paper and placing it inside an envelope, Afiyah placed it exactly
where Affan had left it.
"I
don't want this work, and I can't take care of Zoya there."
"You’ve
wanted this opportunity for months; why are you hesitating to do so now?"
"I've
got my reasons.” She said as she slammed the dish on the counter, sending the
loud clatter resonating against the walls, "Whether I take care of Zoya,
the home, and your mother or I do job to generate money.”
"This
isn't being done to generate money; you're getting the career of your dreams.
Additionally, if you keep
yourself engaged, you will experience less stress. You'd be too busy to
maintain a sour attitude." His face twisted in rage as he scowled at
her. "And one final time, please treat my mother with respect."
“Respect?"
she snapped, sneering, "I have committed my life to her, and you're
talking about respect? I take better care of her than I do of myself or my
daughter. You expect me to show respect as I comply with her requests? What
does respect even mean in your perspectives, then?" Her voice
reverberated across the kitchen.
"What's
wrong with you lately? You were all good and pristine before becoming agitated
and ready to fight. Have you recently had a head injury that may have caused
you to lose certain senses?” He attempted to go closer to her, staring into her
eyes with wrath and frustration.
“You think
I’m losing senses now?” She queried with her voice low.
“Yes, very
much. You’re growing into a mindless shrew.” After spitting at her, he
sauntering, left the kitchen. Afiyah's labored breathing was drowned out by the
sound of his boots stomping on the marble floor.
She dug her
fingers into her scalp while gasping for air and trying to figure out how to
ease her blind rage. She grabbed the dish off the counter, raised it up in
the heavens, and slammed it to the floor.
She watched
as the plate shattered, the loud smashing sound put her at ease, and the way
the plate shattered into innumerable pieces reminded her of her heart.
“Are you out
of your mind?” Affan charged over and seized her by the hand. When she didn't
answer, he jerked her.
"Leave
me alone, Let me go!" she screamed with her voice cracking as she
broke down in tears. Her throat stung when she yelled, which was a lot.
"Afiyah,
keep a cool head. Assemble your senses."
The final
time she sensed Affan pat her cheek before her senses went blank, she felt a
surge of whiteness across her vision, her fingers growing numb, and her figure
crashed onto the marble floor.
It was haze
that she saw, all foggy and misty prior to she clapping her eyes, she
was yanked into awareness shortly after a few tenth of a second. Affan's
anxious demeanor was obvious in her peripheral vision, and she moved quickly
enough to sit unassisted. She winced as a sudden, severe headache struck the
side of her skull.
"What
is going on with you? One day, you're going to kill me."
She made an
attempt to rise up with Affan's assistance, "I need rest.” She spoke icily
before making an attempt to enter her room.
"How
many times might you lose consciousness before you killed yourself? You might
visit your father's house if you need mental tranquilly; I assume you also need
relaxation."
"It
would be better." she said as she gave him a stern look.
Afiyah
experienced a brief period of tranquilly during which she did not see Affan or
hear Soraya's shrill cries. She had been urged to smile constantly ever
since the day she first arrived at her father's house. She was aware of how
kind and considerate Hareem could be; she was also taking better care of Zoya.
When Hareem
and Afiyah observed a cheerful and bouncy Zoya scooting across the floor,
Afiyah inquired what came to mind, “I see you adore kids."
“Obviously.
They are the most adorable being." As she cooed affectionately at
Zoya, Hareem grinned.
Afiyah
hesitated for a moment before asking, "Why don't you get one?"
"Get
what?"
"A
baby."
As she shook
her head and avoided looking Afiyah in the eyes, Hareem giggled, "Allah
has given me two already; a lovely little daughter and a responsible son. I
have no need for anything else."
Afiyah
needed a moment to grasp what Hareem had just said before she could stiflingly
smile, "Yes, but we're your stepchildren."
"What
is the sense of having a stepchild or stepmother? Since I am your father's
wife and his blood flows through your veins, I don't see a problem with this.
What more could I want given that I have children who are adults?" When
Hareem offered an explanation, Afiyah was drawn to want to trust her sincerity
because of something in her tone.
"Having
you as a mother is such a blessing." She stroked Hareem's hand.
"And
the four of you are a blessing to me, I suppose."
“Four?”
"Isn't
she a human, a teeny human, counted?" As she got to her feet to take Zoya
in her arms, she added, "Our little angel."
Afiyah had
already informed Hareem about the incident involving Talal and her friendship.
It was predictable that Hareem would respond by calling the family members Fat
headed and hurling insults their way.
Hareem made
sure her father and Sameer were not at home after she informed him that she
wanted Talal to pay a visit.
"Does
it hurt?" Talal questioned, his fingertips stroking over the receding
wound on her temple.
"A bit."
she said with a wince. "It's been a week already, it's almost gone."
"I find
it hard to believe you sometimes. You only need to focus on looking after
yourself and Zoya." Simply smacking her head with his hand, he reprimanded
her.
"You
don't know how to take care of yourself when your mind is travelling down the
memory lane." she said, chuckling at his antics and delicately
stroking the area where he had struck her.
“What are
you up to now?” Talal only questioned, while keeping his hands hidden in
his jeans' pocket, squinting at her.
"I
can't…" Her throat constricted as she took a long breath and said, "I
can't let him slip out of my thoughts. He is intruding more deeply into my
fantasies and thinking, and it hurts so fucking terribly." A wail
threatened to flee pass her lips.
"Nothing
can be done at this time." His tone was cold and scarcely contained
any humility, “He is no longer there, and you now have a daughter. Rather than
whining about the past, try to live in the present."
"Though
it may seem simple, it isn't. I feel like I'm trying to wriggle my soul out of
my body whenever I merely think of forgetting about him." Her heart
was thumping behind her ribs and her fingers were beginning to go numb. "I
see his visage everywhere around me as if he's here." she said. "I
have the impression that he is present since his thoughts and these vivid
nightmares keep me from being able to sleep at night and keep me from living in
peace."
"You've
taken the wrong turn. Grab a hold of yourself and make an effort to
comprehend your obligations. What if Affan detects a strange change in you?
Have you ever considered what may happen if he finds out?"
“He won't,
and on top of that, it transpired before my marriage." She inhaled, the
mere mention of the circumstances making her lips go dry.
Talal sighed
and moved closer to Afiyah, saying, "I wish you could taste my pain
as well. I went through the same scenario, but I said nothing to you or voiced
any complaints."
His eyes
were black and lifeless as Afiyah looked into them, appearing to be empty. He
stayed there for a moment, starring at Afiyah, before attempting to walk away.
"Don't
get away from me right now." She sounded completely forlorn as she spoke,
her voice wavering.
On his way,
Talal came to a stop and turned around to look at her. When a tear tumbled down
Afiyah's face, he ambled over to her, grabbing her neck and pulling her into an
embrace that felt as if she were being sheltered from a hurricane.
The second
she discovered serenity, she ended the embrace with a gentle shove to his
chest.
"I
conducted the interview, and they will let me know about my profession in a few
weeks." She sniffled but didn't turn to look at the man who had
just unexpectedly hugged her.
"What
job? Have you applied for any jobs?"
"It's a
career, not a job. They called me in for an interview after I took the CSS
exams; we'll see what happens after that." She explained timidly,
her tone trembling.
"No
way." Talal nearly shrieked with delight, "Did you seriously? Now
that I am confident in your abilities, I am eager to witness your triumph. I
had a clue." Afiyah stared into his eyes for a longer period of time
than usual as he grinned widely and forced his eyes into a perfect crescent.
She had a
beautiful journey ahead of her, full of opportunities and obligations, and she
was ready to commit her life to her career.


0 Comments